If your TCL TV is flickering or blinking from either the left or right side, It should not always be an issue with your TV. Some TV settings adjustments will resolve the issue. In my case, I had a flickering screen on the right half of my TV. Several methods will help you to fix this issue.
Key Solution Points:
How to Fix TCL TV Screen Flickering
Restart Your TV
This is the simplest solution that has worked well for many users facing flickering or blinking TV issues. Because it just refreshes your TV and removes any unknown glitches that appeared in the previous turn.
Remember! This method is not the same as turning off your TV from the remote control and turning it back again the remote control.
Press Reset button on the back of your TV
Change Power Outlet
You must ensure that there is power provided to your TV from the main power outlet. If you are using a Surge protector, you must remove it temporarily.
The surge protector keeps the voltage clean and constant. In case of any release of High voltage, your device will be protected. But, there is a chance that it is blocking the current supplied to your TV.
Turn off Motion Clarity
- First of all, go to Settings from your remote control.
- Now, access the Pictures option here from the screen.
- Now, Go to Advance Settings on the next screen.
- Click on Motions option from the Advance Settings.
- Now, Turn off Motion Clarity to resolve the flickering screen.
This option only works on fast-moving objects controlled by backlights. It doesn’t support your normal routine videos and streamings and the screen becomes too bright and starts to flicker. If you are game streaming on your screen, you may enable this option. But, keep it disabled in your normal routine.
You may face a flickering issue on your TCL TV due to your modified TV settings. You may have altered “Refresh Rate” which is mostly used for gaming purposes. Make sure that the TV’s refresh rate is set to match the refresh rate of the content you’re watching.
TCL Roku TVs use a combination of advanced signal processing and backlight scanning to enhance the native refresh rate of the LCD panel (60Hz or 60 frames per second) and present an effective refresh rate (what your eye sees) of 120Hz, or 120 frames per second.TCL
Did you know?
TCL TVs use a technology called “Quantum Dot” which allows for a wider range of colors and more accurate color reproduction, resulting in a more vivid and lifelike image. Additionally, many TCL TVs are powered by the Android operating system, which allows users to access a wide range of apps and streaming services directly on their television.
Check HDMI and Power cables
Sometimes, your HDMI cable becomes loose over time and it doesn’t make the connection intact. Sometimes, power cables are damaged due to a heavy current flux passed through your wiring cables which is why we use Surge Protectors.
So, both of the above reasons may cause your TV screen to flicker. You must perform the following steps to diagnose the problem.
- Check that the HDMI cable is securely connected to both the TV and the device you are connecting.
- Try using a different HDMI cable to see if the problem is with the cable itself.
- Try connecting the device to a different HDMI port on the TV to see if the problem is with the port.
- Try connecting the device to a different TV to see if the problem is with the device itself.
- HDMI error also causes TV keep turning off.
Check External Devices
Sometimes, the issue is only in external streaming devices like Chromecast, Roku, and Amazon firestick used to stream 3rd-party applications on your TV.
You can check by unplugging any external device attached to your TV and check whether the problem is in your external streaming device.
Update Your TCL TV Firmware
You may face issues such as flickering or blinking screen and black screen on your TCL TV due to outdated firmware being installed on your TV.
To update the firmware on a TCL TV, follow these steps:
Resolve TCL TV Flickering issue via Main Board settings
Please follow the whole video to resolve flickering issue via main circuit board. Make sure that you open each part of your TV carefully and it may involve a little bit technician work.
Clean TCL TV Mainboard and Tcon Board
Your TV may become overheated which creates issues in main circuit board which cause flickers in your TV screen. So, you must clean your your TV thoroughly and wash all internal parts of your TV and then you can use dryer to make internal integrated parts dried.
Disable Energy-Efficiency Option
TCL TV comes with built-in Energy-Efficienc feature which enables you to save energy by optimizing its settings.
This feature uses least amount of electricity which may cause disturbance in equal distribution of voltage.
You can turn off this feature, follow the step mentioned below.
First go to “Power Saving” or the “Energy Saving” mode and turn it off.
Turn off “Standby LED” mode
Your TV’s brightness is automatically changed in Energy Saving Mode to lower the amount of electricity it uses. Because of this feature, the screen may occasionally flicker.
If turning off Energy Saving Mode (or Ambient Light Detection) doesn’t solve the problem, try the “Minimum Backlight” setting on your Samsung TV. You must need to turn off Standby LED mode in order to avoid flickering.
Factory Reset the TV
Factory Reset is usually applied when you have tried all the above methods and you haven’t found the solution yet. Performing a factory reset on a TCL TV will erase all of the custom settings, channels, and applications that have been added and restore the TV to its original factory settings.
Issue with TCL TV backlight
When you turn on your TV, see a power indicator on your TV, and sound is also coming through your TV. But, the video is flickering. This issue is generally called Backlight consisting of LED lights.
I recommend you check the following points before moving forward.
- Check the brightness and contrast settings on your TV. Make sure that the brightness and contrast are set to a comfortable level for viewing.
- Check the ambient light in the room where the TV is located. If the room is too bright, it can affect the TV’s backlight. Try adjusting the lighting in the room or closing the curtains to reduce the amount of light coming in.
- Check the backlight settings on your TV. Some TCL TV models have a backlight setting that can be adjusted. Look for this setting in the TV’s menu and adjust it as needed.
- Check the power saver mode on your TV. Some TCL TV models have a power saver mode that can affect the backlight. Look for this setting in the TV’s menu and turn it off if it is on.
Now, bring a flashlight close to your TV screen and see if there are controls and text visible to you. You can also use your remote control to change the settings and witness moving prompts and settings. If you see text on your screen, this issue is with LED lights of TV and it is not a big issue. You can implement one of the two steps below.
- Exchange In-warranty TV
- Replacing TCL LED Backlight Strips
Exchange In-warranty TV
Chose a new TCL TV if your TV is under warranty. TCL will replace free of cost and you don’t even have to pay a technician fee as well.
Replacing TCL LED Backlight Strips
- A strip consists of multiple LED lights and an issue in one of the LEDs can cause the whole strip to not work.
- Turn off the TV and unplug it from the electrical outlet.
- Remove the back panel of the TV. This will typically involve removing screws or snaps that hold the panel in place. Refer to the TV’s user manual for specific instructions on how to remove the back panel.
- Locate the LED backlight strips. These will typically be located along the edges of the TV’s screen.
- Disconnect the LED backlight strips from the TV’s circuit board. This will typically involve unplugging connectors or removing screws that hold the strips in place.
- Carefully remove the old LED backlight strips from the TV.
- Install the new LED backlight strips. Make sure that they are properly connected to the TV’s circuit board and securely in place.
- Reattach the back panel of the TV and replace any screws or snaps that were removed.
- Plug the TV back in and turn it on.
There are several possible causes of screen flickering on a TCL TV, including loose cable connections, power source issues, outdated firmware, and incorrect settings. By identifying and addressing the root cause, you can hopefully resolve the problem and enjoy a stable and clear picture on your TCL TV.
Enjoy Reading Too:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can screen flickering be harmful to my eyes?
While screen flickering can be annoying, it is generally not harmful to your eyes. However, if the flickering is severe or persists for a long period of time, it can cause eye strain and headaches. If this is the case, it is best to address the underlying cause of the flickering as soon as possible.
How do I turn off the light on my TCL Roku TV?
- Press Home button from your remote and open Settings on your screen.
- Now, click on System > Power option.
- Now, select LED Standby tab.
- Go to right navigation button.
- Now, confirm it.
Originally from Pakistan Azam, the Founder of smarthomehut.com has a keen interest in Audio products and has used multiple Audio and sound-related products with almost every version of the headphones and AirPods.
Azam has got a degree in Bachelors in Computer Science with a specialization in Home Automation and Security having experience of 3 years in automation, which has allowed him to guide people on what He has learned, observed, and analyzed to solve their problems with tech and automated gadgets.
He has done jobs in various companies across Pakistan i,e; Tech Resolver Ltd and Soft Care Ltd.
Now, He has been writing detailed information on every issue and every feature of headphones, Alexa (Echo devices), Home security devices AirPods, or earbuds and also reviewing them for 2 years.
You can find him @
More Info About Smarthomehut