Nothing can be more frustrating than when you get settled to watch some TV but, when you turn it on surprisingly, you get a black screen of death. Multiple users have faced this issue of a black screen on their TCL TVs.
But, what really caused issues? Is there an issue with my TCL TV? Is there a problem with Android OS?
Key Solution Points:
TCL 50″ Class 4-Series 4K UHD
How To Fix TCL TV Black Screen Of Death
Restart Your TV
For a restart, we use a certain Key combination on TCL Roku TV remote.
- First, press the Home button five times.
- Now, press the Up button once.
- Now, press the Rewind button twice.
- Now, press the Fast Forward button twice.
The whole screen will be frozen for a while and reboot your TV. This simple reboot is really helpful in resolving the black and flickering screens.
Plug in and Plug out | Power cycle
- First, make sure that you don’t turn off your TV while performing this task.
- Pull the plug out from the power socket.
- Now, wait for 30 seconds and plug it back into the power socket.
- Turn your TV on the back and see whether the flickering issue has been resolved.
- Now, again plug out the TV.
- Wait for a minute this time.
- Again plug it back into the power socket.
Most of the users will be able to resolve the black screen issue by following this approach.
Power cycling the TV can help resolve issues such as a frozen screen, a malfunctioning remote control, or problems with the TVs connected to the internet.
Check the power Source
Sometimes, you keep on the power button from your remote but your TV shows a black screen only. The reason could be that your TCL Roku TV hasn’t been turned on. You can verify this by checking the power indicator on your TV.
You must check the power outlet and ensure that it is delivering power to the source at adequate voltage. If the power outlet is faulty, change it before it may damage your TV. In most cases, TCL TV causes flickering due to bad power.
Check If Power cord is plugged in correctly
- Locate the power cord on the back of the TV and check that it is securely plugged into the power port on the TV.
- Now, Check that the other end of the power cord is plugged firmly into a working electrical outlet.
- Because sometimes cord is faulty or it becomes loose which doesn’t make the connection intact and you may see a flickering screen on your TV.
- So, either change your cord or fix the ends of the cord and reconnect both ends with the TV and socket.
If the TV still doesn’t turn on, check to see if the outlet has a switch and make sure it is turned on.
Check HDMI Cable Connection
HDMI input cables become faulty over time. That’s why you observe a black screen with no sound on your TV.
Make sure the TV and the device you are connecting are both turned on and set to the correct input. Your TV has various HDMI inputs, so make sure that the correct HDMI input is being used.
- Check that the HDMI cable is securely connected to both the TV and the device you are connecting.
- Try using a different HDMI cable to see if the problem is with the cable itself.
- Try connecting the device to a different TV to see if the problem is with the device itself.
- HDMI errors may cause sound issues on TV as well.
Update Your TV Firmware
Updating firmware resolves many unknown issues because an older version causes issues that are only related to compatibility.
Updating the firmware on a TCL TV is a simple process that can be done through the TV’s menu. Here are the general steps you can follow to update the firmware on your TCL TV:
- First, Turn on your TCL TV and press the “Menu” button on your remote control.
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu and select “System.” or Choose Device Preference> About.
- Select “Software Update” or “Firmware Update.”Your TV will check for available updates.
- If an update is found, select “Download” to start the update process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process.
- Once the update is complete, your TV will automatically reboot.
Tweak Fast Start Option
- Press Home on your Remote control Button.
- Now, go to “Settings”
- Find System here and click on Power
- Enable Fast TV Start.
- It basically keeps a stable network connection after TVs are powered off and allows for the connection of smart home devices.
We had observed many users resolving their issues by only reversing the option in case of a Black screen on their TCL TVs. If you have enabled this option, I would recommend you disable it.
Check Sleep Timer
If Sleep Timer is enabled on your TV, your TV screen may go black and completely turns off. So, you just need to turn it off first.
Settings > System > Timer > Sleep Timer
Disable Power Saver Mode
Power Mode is a feature that is used for saving energy. The automatic system analyzes the situation itself and takes action accordingly. You must ensure that your TV is out of Power Saving mode.
Go to Settings > Picture Mode > Disable Power Mode.
Factory Reset the TV
Factory Reset is usually applied when you have tried all the above methods and you haven’t found the solution yet. Performing a factory reset on a TCL TV will erase all of the custom settings, channels, and applications that have been added and restore the TV to its original factory settings.
- Turn on your TCL TV and press the “Menu” button on your remote control.
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu and select “System.”
- Now, Access Advance Settings
- Select “Factory Reset” or “Reset to Default” (the option name may vary depending on your TV model).
- Enter the code if it asks you to proceed with Factory Reset.
- A warning message will appear, confirm the action by selecting “OK“
- The TV will begin the factory reset process and may take several minutes to complete.
- Once the process is complete, the TV will reboot and be in its original factory settings
Replace The TCL TV T-CON Board
“T-con” is short for timing controller. The T-con itself is typically an IC located on that board, and it’s responsible for taking the video data sent to the LCD module and properly distributing it that actually drives the electrodes of the LCD panel.
Sometimes, you may see a distorted screen and broken pictures which forces you to change your T-Con Board and install a new one instead of it.
If after performing the factory reset the display is still blank contact TCL Support for further troubleshooting.
Enjoy Reading Too:
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I fix a TCL TV black screen caused by a power issue?
- First of all, change your power outlet.
- Check all cords and cables and ensure that they are not damaged.
- Now, power cycle your TV to fix the black screen due to a power issue.
What should I do if my TCL TV is stuck on a black screen after a software update?
You can simply reset your TV by just turning off the TV and waiting for a few seconds. Make sure that you remove the TV plug from the wall socket. After a minute, you can replug your TV.
How do I reset my TCL TV screen?
- First, take a straightened paper clip or ballpoint pen.
- Now, press and hold the RESET button on the TV connector panel for about 12 seconds.
- Release the RESET button and the status indicator will become dim.
Originally from Pakistan, being a young lad in Tech industry, Hamza has a keen interest in PC games, and Windows OS Security Systems. He loves technology and Alexa products and he has used multiple automated gadgets at home, with almost every version of the Echo and Rumbas especially.
He is recently studying advanced AI and Machine Learning at ITU Pakistan. Now, He has also involved himself in Aurdino products to study advanced Robotics. His degree is Bachelor’s in Computer Science but his Specialization has taken him to a higher positions at various job positions.
Now, He writes detailed information on every issue and feature of Alexa, Echo, and other smart and automated gadgets and also reviews them according to my use and personal utility experience.
Hamza has been providing people with different troubleshoots related to robotics, and AI since 2020 and He has attached himself with smarthomehut in 2022
You can find him @
More Info About Smarthomehut