Are you facing the challenge of needing to reset your Firestick without a remote? I have tested some proven methods that work even when you’re unable to locate or pair a remote with your device.
Quick Solution Points:
Why Factory Reset a Firestick?
- Your Firestick keeps crashing
- Your Fire TV remote becomes unresponsive
- When Firestick does not connect to Wi-Fi
- When you want to change the ownership
LG 83-inch Class OLED
4 Ways to Reset Firestick Without Remote Control
Utilizing the Fire TV App On a Phone
Download the Amazon Fire TV app, which allows you to control your Fire TV device using your iPhone or Android smartphone. I suggest this method as it is easy to follow this approach.
Here’s how to use the app for a factory reset:
- Ensure that your Fire TV and smartphone are connected to the same network.
- Download the Fire TV app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Launch the app and use it as a remote control to navigate through the menus.
- You can add a new device here from the + icon.
- Select your device from the given list of Fire TV devices.
- Now, Click the gear icon in the upper left to open the Fire TV settings menu.
- Head towards My Devices in the Settings Menu.
- Locate the factory reset option within the app’s interface.
Follow the on-screen instructions to initiate the factory reset process. Then, you can use Firestick on your TV.
Using an OTG Cable or Keyboard
Another method which I suggest is, to perform a factory reset without a remote. You’ll need an OTG cable or a compatible keyboard. If you have a Fire Stick, the OTG cable is required, and you can easily find one online for around five dollars.
However, if you own a different model of Fire TV, you can directly plug in a keyboard. Here’s how to proceed:
- Connect the OTG cable or keyboard to your Fire TV device.
- Plug in the power cable for your Fire TV.
- Once the keyboard is connected, hold down the Escape and Right Arrow buttons simultaneously for 15 seconds.
- After 15 seconds, a prompt for factory reset will appear on the screen.
- If you prefer to proceed with the factory reset, let the prompt elapse, and the reset process will initiate automatically. However, if your screen is black, waiting for the reset to begin is a viable option.
- Use the keyboard arrows to navigate to the “OK” option and select it.
- Your Firestick will now begin the factory reset process.
Using Your TV Remote
I find it a complex method as you need to activate HDMI-CEC on your TV to allow your TV remote to control your Firestick through HDMI. But, it is by default activated on most TVs.
Ask Alexa To Reset Firestick
Just command Alexa to perform the steps.
Here are the commands that you need to give to Alexa.
Enjoy Reading Too:
Frequently Asked Questions
How to factory reset the firestick when frozen?
- Press the Back and Right Side buttons on your remote control.
- Hold it for about 15 seconds
- Now, you can select the option of Reset.
Mahnoor has graduated from AI Security Specific Program at PIASS. She has a special interest in technology especially Automated gadgets and Automated Robots. She has also studied programming and Windows security.
She is now serving as Professor at PIASS teaching a major in AI. She has got herself into content gathering and now at smarthomehut, she often writes about Alexa programming skills and how different automated related devices and how tackle their various issues.
You can find her @
More Info About Smarthomehut