How to Play a Spotify Playlist on Alexa
Before playing Spotify on Alexa, you need to connect your Alexa with Alexa and set up your Music platform’s account on your Alexa device to make it play your favorite music playlists on Alexa with your voice command.
After linking your Spotify account with Alexa, you can easily play Spotify playlists and listen to your favorite podcasts and music. This works best when you have a premium Spotify subscription but it does well even with your free Spotify account.
How to link your Spotify Account to Alexa?
You can play Spotify playlists on Alexa without the app by following these steps.
- First of all, download and install Alexa app to your mobile.
- Make sure that you already have your Spotify Login Credentials.
- Now, launch your Alexa app and go to option ‘More’ in the bottom right corner.
- Now, click on the Settings option on the screen.
- Scroll down and you will see ‘Alexa Preferences’, under this option, please tap on ‘Music & Podcasts’
- Here, you will see that all your Music and podcast platforms are mentioned. Just click on ‘Link New Service’
- Now, Click on the ‘Spotify’ option
- Here, you will enable and link your Spotify account.
- Now, you will go into a Spotify browser screen where you will add your login details.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap on ‘Agree’
- A notification will be appeared saying ‘Your Spotify account has been successfully linked.’
- Congratulations! Your Spotify account has been linked with an Alexa device (Echo)
Make Spotify the Default music service
Setting Spotify as your default Music service in Alexa will make it easy for Alexa to play songs directly from Spotify. For example, Say, “Alexa, play ‘Without me by Hasley” and it will directly play from Spotify instead of saying, Hey! Alexa opens Spotify and plays…
- First of all, Tap on Default Service
- Here, you will see Three different options, Music, Podcasts, Artists, and Genre Stations.
- Change all those to your Default Spotify
- Click on the Back arrow.
- Now, ‘Spotify’ is set as your default service.
How to Play a Spotify Playlist on Alexa | Command the music.
Make sure that:
- You have connected your Spotify Account to Alexa
- You have set Spotify as Your Default Music Service
Now, you need to give it a command and it will automatically play your favorite Playlist songs, podcasts, or play music from your Spotify account. Examples are here:
- “Alexa, play [the playlist name].”
- “Alexa, play Candy Paint by Post Malone.”
- “Alexa, shuffle the playlist Study Vibes.”
- Alexa Spotify Commands
You can also choose which playlists you want to play from your Alexa when you don’t know the name of that specific playlist.
Just follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open your Alexa app.
- Tap on Play.
- Here, you can see your Playlists, tap on the playlist which you want to play.
- Now, choose an Alexa device to play songs directly from Spotify through Alexa.
How to Play All Songs in a Playlist | Turn On Shuffle
- Shuffle helps you to continuously play all the songs from your Paylists without any breaks.
You should turn on the shuffle mode before going toward your playlists. You need to open your Alexa app and head over to its Equalizer setting and now you will turn Shuffle Mode on from your music streaming app.
- Alexa Won’t Play Spotify[Ultimate Solution]
How to turn on shuffle mode in Spotify?
- First of all, tap on Library at the bottom of the app.
- Tap on your Playlist.
- Now, tap on any playlist (Billy Elish)
- If you tap on the Shuffle icon at the bottom, it will automatically play the playlist.
- Now, if you click the current playing song, you will see a shuffle icon with a dot, which means that it is turned on.
Interesting and Helpful Alexa Music Commands
- You can also give command Alexa to play any special song
- You can also ask Alexa to play songs from [artist name]
- You can also request Alexa to request to “play,” “stop,” “pause,” or change the Volume.
Songs are played by Alexa in the form of a playlist and everyone has set his own playlist and has added their favorite songs to that.
When randomly you hear the song or it just surrounds in your head, you should better add that song to your playlist.
To add your favorite song to the playlist,
- “Alexa, add this song to my [paylist name] playlist.”
If you want to play music when you are at a party or you are in the pool and want to listen to songs according to different moods and activities,
- Alexa, play music for [activity]
Sometimes, you listen to songs from anyone’s device and the lyrics just leave in your mind. You want to get that song and listen to it again and again. Alexa in this case can help you.
You should just sing the lyrics a little bit and Alexa will work for the rest.
- “Alexa, play that song that goes like [lyric].”
Some people have one choice of mood or activity and they don’t want to change their genre. They want to stick to their choice. In this case, they can give the command to Alexa to play the songs of their specific genre.
“Alexa, play [genre] music.”
Some favorite genres are as follows:
- Hip Hop
How to play your Liked Songs
When you have any song on your Favorites, you can ask, “Alexa, play my Liked Songs on Spotify.”
Because you have made this favorite by adding it to your Spotify Playlist. So, you have to mention ‘Spotify’ in this command despite it being set as your Default Music Service.
✔How to play your Discover Weekly and Daily Mix
As your default Music service has already been added to ‘Spotify’ you can easily play playlists.
- Just say: “Alexa, play + Daily Mix/Discover Weekly,” and the playback will start instantly.
✔Set up an Alexa Routine for a Spotify Playlist
Alexa has the feature “Routine” which allows you to customize your daily workings and control different actions.
To set up “Routines”, just follow the steps below.
- First of all, download and install the Alexa app on your phone.
- Here, you will see the option “Routines” on your screen.
- Now, click on More at the right bottom of your screen.
- Here, you will see the + icon in the top right corner, it is used to set up any custom routine which you want.
- Click Next.
- Now, first of all, you will Name your Routine.
- Click on the When This Happens + icon.
With this, you can say: “Alexa, playlist,” and the favorite one will start automatically. You can set “Alexa Morning Playlist”, and “Alexa Evening Playlist” and Alexa will automatically on time regularly.
Alexa Won’t Play My Playlist
You must check all the points in the checklist below and if any point is not done by you, you must first perform it and move on to other action points to fix it.
- Restart your Alexa device, this little reboot will resolve unknown errors.
- Set Spotify as your default Music in the Alexa app. (Method is given up in this article.)
- Change your Spotify Playlist name. Alexa may not be understanding your Playlist name upon your command.
- Turn off the shuffle and check if your Alexa has started playing Spotify Playlist.
Check all the points below that may affect Alexa and won’t play your Spotify playlist.
- Check If you have Alexa latest version
- Check If Amazon Echo is Muted
- Check the Compatability of Alexa and Spotify
- Check if your Default music is Amazon Echo
- Check the Name of Echo Device
- Clear Cache
- Remove Amazon Echo
- Voice Commands are not accurate
- Connect the correct Spotify account
✔Play Spotify across grouped speakers.
Alexa allows you to synchronize Echo speakers in group Multi-Room Music. Alexa supports well Spotify for Multi-Room Music.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Alexa play Spotify playlists without premium?
Alexa works better with a premium subscription to Spotify. But, you can also use a free Spotify account, and sometimes, it may create an issue, ‘Spotify playlists not working on Alexa.’ But, you can listen to music, enjoy podcasts, etc.
Hi, This is Azam, Founder of smarthomehut.com. I have a special interest in Audio products and I have used multiple Audio and sound-related products with almost every version of the headphones and Airpods. I also have learned Automation, Home Automated Security, and the internet of things which I guide people about. Now, I write detailed information on every issue and every feature of headphones, Alexa (Echo devices), Home security devices AirPods, or earbuds and also review them according to my personal utility experience.