This article explains how to fix your issue with Alexa when it stops after playing one song. You should implement all the necessary steps to completely resolve the problem and equip Alexa to not create this type of issue again.
Why Does Amazon Music Stop Playing After One Song
- Alexa software is not updated.
- Internet is having low bandwidth.
- The router needs a reboot.
- Amazon Music or other Music service app is outdated.
- Loop Mode in Alexa.
How do you help Alexa to Play more than One Song | 12 Steps
We will help you resolve the problem in multiple steps which will enable your Alexa to play Non-Stop music.
1) Check Your Home Internet Connection
Slow internet connection is a basic problem that we have observed and faced by many people. The Internet connection may be unstable or there has been no connectivity issue which means that no internet is provided by the router or you have run out of internet subscription.
Non-stable internet connection causes multiple Alexa commands such as Alexa PLay Radio station to not work properly.
Make sure that there is no red light blinking, indicating that internet service has been limited.
Make sure that you have not changed the connection credentials of the router. There has been no change in name of the Wi-Fi or the password. If you have changed it recently, make sure to enter them again correctly.
Check for the network bandwidth and make sure that it is stable and high enough. Because in low bandwidth usually, devices stop working and that’s why your Amazon music or Spotify doesn’t play more than one song.
2) Alexa Loop Mode
You can enable this mode to allow Alexa to play a piece of specific music for you repeatedly. Usually, people turn on this feature for relaxing music during nighttime. But, it may stuck sometimes which needs to be fixed.
Echo (4th Gen)
premium sound, smart home hub, and Alexa
You can turn off Alexa Loop Mode in two ways:
- Alexa Stop: It completely stops the Alexa by stopping the music and Alexa Loop Mode is also turned off.
- Alexa Lop Mode Off: It does not stop the Alexa currently playing music but it turns off the loop mode feature only.
Why Loop Mode does not work on Alexa?
Usually, your Mobile Phone’s Bluetooth turns off which disables the connection with your Echo.
Now, You can turn your Echo loop mode off and then turn it on back. Force the Alexa app to stop and then launch it again. Now, you turn on the Bluetooth and connect your Alexa device to your Phone.
3) Reboot Alexa device
Sometimes, a simple restart can fix the error which means that the Alexa device just needs to be refreshed.
- Restart the Alexa-enabled device.
- Unplug your device or the power adapter from the power outlet.
- Wait for almost 30 seconds.
- Now, plug it back to reboot the device completely.
4) Turn On Shuffle
You should turn on the shuffle mode before going toward your playlists. You need to open your Alexa app and head over to its Equalizer setting and now you will turn Shuffle Mode on from your music streaming app.
How to turn on shuffle mode in Spotify?
- First of all, tap on Library at the bottom of the app.
- Tap on your Playlist.
- Now, tap on any playlist (Billy Elish)
- If you tap on Shuffle icon at the bottom, it will automatically play the playlist.
- Now, if you click the current playing song, you will see a shuffle icon with a dot, which means that it is turned on.
5) Set Bluetooth issues with Alexa
You may have Bluetooth devices which may sometimes cause issues connecting with Alexa and if the Bluetooth connection breaks, it won’t work.
- First of all, make sure that the device that you are trying to connect is Bluetooth enabled.
- Make sure that you bring both of the devices closer to avoid any other connection interference.
- Now, go to your Alexa and search for the device from the menu.
- Select the Bluetooth device from there.
- Restart your Echo device.
- Pair your device with Alexa(Echo).
6) Setup Skills on Amazon Echo
You can check your Alexa skill because maybe Amazon Alexa still is turned off or it is not set properly.
- First of all, launch the Alexa app.
- Go to the upper corner menu and expand it.
- You will see the Skills and Games option. Click on it.
- Now scroll through the whole page and explore the skills. I hope that you will find some amazing skills which your Echo can do.
Here, there will be an option for Search. You can simply use it to find anything like Amazon Music. It will open the website and ask you to log in and after that, it will be connected with Pandora.
Recommendation: Alexa Device Is Unresponsive | Fix
7) Connect with Correct Device
If you have more than one Alexa device, it is possible that the wrong Echo device has responded to your command. The problem is due to that one Echo device is connected to one Amazon account and the other one is with a different Amazon account.
Alexa devices use special technology called Echo Spatial Perception the functionality which enables the device to respond to what is closest to you. If you have observed that the wrong device has responded to your Music command, you need to take a few steps to resolve the issue.
- Go to your Alexa app.
- Check for the account connected with your Alexa.
- Make sure that all the devices are connected with only one amazon account.
Now, you need to get close the Echo device to you and say that again. If the problem is not rectified then you need to change the “Wake Word” for one of the devices. Hopefully, it will resolve the issue.
8) Try Different Music Service
If you are having a problem with your music service app, you just need to fix it. Because sometimes Spotify or Pandora may get into trouble working which needs a restart.
- First of all, unlink your music service from Alexa.
- Now, connect to another music service provider (Spotify or Amazon Music)
- If it works well with Alexa, you need to connect your previous Music app and log in again there.
- I hope it will resolve your problem.
9) Alexa grouping problem
If you ask Alexa to play music and there is another device that may be not in the same room but in the other one. There is a grouping problem in Alexa and it causes confusion in them and they are unable to work properly and mix things.
The simple method to resolve this is to ungroup the devices and group them again. Follow the steps mentioned below.
Echo Dot (3rd Gen, 2018 release)
Features: Smart speaker with Alexa – Charcoal
- First, open the Alexa app and select the device from there.
- Now, you need to select the one from which you have to solve the grouping.
- Go to the group, Click on edit and then delete it.
- Now, group them again.
- Make sure that you don’t select the default speaker to avoid any problems.
10) Turn off Sleep Timer
Usually, the sleep timer is turned on to stop Alexa from performing any task after a certain time period.
You must check any alarms or schedules which you have set in your Alexa device. If you have set any schedule for Music playing, then you should turn it off.
- Open up the Amazon Music app and click on ‘Browse’ in the app.
- Click on Three Dots in the upper corner.
- Now, go to settings from there.
- Click on Sleep Timer and turn it off.
11) Turn Off Explicit Filter
Amazon has also provided the feature to turn off the music where there is an explicit song. This may be the reason why Alexa stops playing the next song. You can check this option and turn off the explicit filter to play seamlessly.
To turn off the explicit filter, follow the steps below.
- First of all, open the Alexa app and click on Three dots.
- Now, click on settings and then select Music.
- Disable explicit filter here finally.
12) Check Music Subscription
If you are using Echo and play songs directly from Amazon Music or Amazon Prime, you must check for your subscription. If your Alexa stops playing music, it may be due to an inactive subscription to your Amazon Prime.
You can check your subscription from your Amazon account.
- Just log in to your Amazon account.
- Click on your name appearing in the top corner.
- Check for the active subscription there.
- If there is an inactive subscription, you need to renew it.
How to Reset your Amazon Echo?
If nothing above has worked for you, you need to reset the device fully and bring it back to its original settings.
- You will find a reset button on the base of your Echo device.
- Now, you need to reset the device which also requires registering it with your Amazon account.
- When your press the reset button, it will first turn orange and then Blue. It will turn off completely and then turn on.
- When the device is turned orange, it is in setup mode. At this point, you have to connect it to your Wi-Fi.
- You have to register the device with your Amazon account.
- It will now completely reset your device.
Enjoy Reading Too:
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get Alexa to play a song continuously?
Alexa Loop Mode will help in this regard.
- First of all, you just have to play a song. For example; Dark Horse.
- Now, when Alexa is playing it, you will say: Alexa Turn on loop mode. Alexa will reply with “Alexa; Loop mode on” and it will continuously play the song.
How Long Will Alexa Play Music Before Turning Off?
Alexa device doesn’t fully shut down instead it just stops the action. When you are using a music service app with Alexa, it will play songs infinitely until it is commanded to stop or when the songs are over.
Can Alexa play 2 songs at the same time?
Yes! Alexa can play 2 songs simultaneously on two different speakers with 2 different devices (Phone or Tablet) attached.
How many songs are free on Alexa?
Amazon itself has an ad-supported free tier of its prestige Music service. It gives you access to almost 2 million songs that Amazon Prime subscribers get.
Originally from Pakistan, being a young lad in Tech industry, Hamza has a keen interest in PC games, and Windows OS Security Systems. He loves technology and Alexa products and he has used multiple automated gadgets at home, with almost every version of the Echo and Rumbas especially.
He is recently studying advanced AI and Machine Learning at ITU Pakistan. Now, He has also involved himself in Aurdino products to study advanced Robotics. His degree is Bachelor’s in Computer Science but his Specialization has taken him to a higher positions at various job positions.
Now, He writes detailed information on every issue and feature of Alexa, Echo, and other smart and automated gadgets and also reviews them according to my use and personal utility experience.
Hamza has been providing people with different troubleshoots related to robotics, and AI since 2020 and He has attached himself with smarthomehut in 2022
You can find him @
More Info About Smarthomehut